Downtown Los Angeles header image
Los Angeles Police Department Memorial BadgeLos Angeles Police Department Badge


News Release

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Media Relations

Newspaper Bandit Shot after Bank Robbery

Los Angeles: A man, identified as the "Newspaper Bandit," was shot after police confronted him two blocks south of the Citibank in downtown Los Angeles, yesterday afternoon, September 11, 2005. The suspect was identified as 52-year-old Forrest Jackson.

The Citibank, at 110 East Ninth Street, sent a robbery alarm to police dispatch just
after 2 PM. Security officers from the bank directed two police officers to the suspect, who was walking south on Broadway, toward 11th Street.

Senior Lead Officer Katharina McAnany and Captain Jody Wakefield ordered Jackson to surrender. As Captain Wakefield approached on foot, Officer McAnany followed in the police car. Jackson continued to walk south, and turned onto 11th Street. The officers confronted him on the south sidewalk, and Jackson turned to face them. He was armed with a gun and a large knife in his waistband. When Jackson reached for his waistband, Officer McAnany fired her sidearm.

Jackson was wounded and taken to California Hospital, where he was treated for gunshot wounds. A replica gun; a large, ceremonial-type knife; and a large sum of cash were recovered from the sidewalk.

Detectives identified Jackson as the Newspaper Bandit, who is responsible for over a dozen bank robberies since October 2004. Most of the robberies occurred on the west side: Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Seal Beach, Wilshire, and West Los Angeles. The Newspaper Bandit received his nickname because, on at least one occasion, he concealed his gun with a newspaper during the robbery.

Neither of the officers was wounded. Officer McAnany is 39, and has over 9 years with LAPD. Captain Wakefield is 44, and has over 21 years with the Department.

Robbery Homicide Division will investigate the bank robberies, and Force Investigation Division will investigate the officer-involved-shooting. Representatives from the Inspector General's office and Los Angeles County District Attorney's office were on the scene to monitor the investigation.